LensCrafters Locations

(702) 341-7254

PearleVision Locations

(702) 452-2020

LensCrafters Locations:
Call: (702) 341-7254

PearleVision Locations:
Call: (702) 452-2020

Scroll Down for
More Information!

  • Blog >
  • Sports Eye Safety
RSS Feed

Sports Eye Safety

Sports Eye Safety

You wear protective gear for every part of your body when playing sports. Don't neglect eyewear as well. High-speed fastballs, tackles, and more can cause irreparable eye injuries while you play. To preserve your sports vision, you need to know how to keep it safe on and off the field. Here are some tips from Kopolow & Girisgen Doctors of Optometry in Las Vegas for keeping your vision at its peak while you play.

Use Protective Eyewear

Each year, 25,000 people experience eye injuries while playing sports. Luckily, you don't have to be one of these people. Just by wearing eye protection, you can prevent 90 percent of eye injuries that may happen on the field. Even if you wear glasses, know that your corrective lenses are not strong enough to protect your eyes during some activities. Look for eyewear specific to your sport with the label of ASTM F803 approved.

Know How to Respond to Eye Injuries

While you can prevent 90 percent of eye injuries, that still leaves a 10 percent chance that something could happen to your vision. If you experience an injury to your eyes on or off the field, you need to know what to do. For minor cases of injury such as a foreign body in your eye, don't try to pull out the item yourself. Have someone take you to one of our eye care locations to have the object removed by an expert. If there is blood or you have the injury after hours, go immediately to an ER. When in doubt, though, seek emergency care. You don't want to risk your vision by delaying care for an eye injury.

Get a Sports Vision Exam from Us

Eye care should be at the top of your list if you play sports. If your vision begins to blur, you won't be able to properly adapt to motions you see on the field. Before the season starts, schedule an optometry exam for your sport. Sports vision exams do more than just see whether you need corrective lenses. These exams go beyond to test your eyes' ability to track motion and more. Contact any of our Las Vegas locations for Kopolow & Girisgen Doctors of Optometry to make an appointment for sports vision screening.