Your Las Vegas Optometrist Explains Common Eye Conditions
If you’re like many, vision is your most crucial sense. You rely on it for work, for play, for spending time with those you love. And while most people can count on good eyesight for life, any number of eye conditions can pose a hazard to it.
While the range of known conditions is far too broad to cover in a single article, the most common eye conditions fall into a few categories. We’ll discuss those below, then talk about how eye exams can help identify eye conditions and illuminate possible courses of treatment so that you can maintain healthy vision for life.
Types of Eye Conditions Treated by Our Las Vegas Eye Doctor
If you’ve never seen an optometrist before, you might not know much about eye health and what can affect it. While, again, the number of eye conditions is too great to be fully detailed here, you can watch out for a few general issues:
- Allergies - Pollen and other allergens make eyes water, sting and itch
- Eye Infections -Viral, bacterial or fungal infections can colonize many areas of the eye – think conjunctivitis, an infection of the cornea, or blepharitis, an infection of the eyelid
- Nearsightedness and farsightedness - Poor vision up-close or at a distance can jeopardize good eyesight
- Astigmatism - An improperly shaped lens affects vision
- Eye floaters - When small pieces of collagen float around in the vitreous at the back of the eye, you see floaters
- Foreign objects - This may be as simple as a bit of dust or as large as a lost contact
- Blurry vision - This can be caused by a huge range of factors, such as astigmatism or nearsightedness, or can indicate the onset of a more serious disease
- Keratoconus - Like astigmatism, this is when the cornea starts to bulge over time and must be corrected so it doesn’t get worse
Whether or not you’ve noticed any of these conditions, you may wish to speak to an optometrist to ensure your eye health is top notch.
Get an Eye Exam to Determine Symptoms and Causes
If you notice symptoms, you should talk to an eye doctor and get an eye exam right away. Our optometrists can screen children, adults and seniors for a huge range of symptoms, such as blurred vision, trouble seeing objects far away, pain or discomfort in the eye, itching, redness and swelling, and more.
If you’ve noticed any of these, or simply suspect your eyesight might be deteriorating, it’s important to get an eye exam right away. While many conditions are treatable, some get worse over time and must be addressed immediately if you’re to have the best chance of saving your vision, so don’t wait.
Treatment for Eye Conditions
Treatment for eye conditions ranges almost as much as the conditions themselves but falls into a few basic categories: eye wear such as glasses and lenses, eye disease treatment, and surgery. We can help with most types of treatment, and offer surgery consultations in the case of more extreme measures. Just let us know what you’re suffering from and get an exam, and we can make a proper plan right away.
The Best Eye Care from an Eye Doctor near Las Vegas
When you’re ready for proper eye care from an eye doctor near Las Vegas, consider Kopolow & Girisgen Doctors of Optometry. With the knowledge and expertise to make us experts in our field, we’re well positioned to help you and your family gets exactly what you need when you need it. Give us a call today at any of our 13 locations.